Friday, July 10, 2020

Final Thoughts of the Traitor


I chose how to live
Now I choose how to die
Or do I?

I really don’t want to live anymore
I cannot undo what I have done
I betrayed him
Denied him
Sold him

My lifelong desire has been exposed
All along I wanted riches
Now I have it
Silver coins
Thirty

I sold my soul for fame and fortune
I tried to find my life
Fulfil my dream
At any price
I am lost

I hear the jeering and the mourning
The leaders and the fickle crowd
I am beyond redemption
There is no way out
From the abyss

I feel the rope around my neck
What awaits me in the dark
Is this end just a beginning
Of further torment
And regret 

Can I by ending this my failure
Erase the bitterness inside
Is there a better way
Can I avoid decay
Or oblivion

Is there forgiveness for my wretchedness?
Is there a future for my past
Am I beyond a cure for sin
Is there no choice
I am unalterable

And so before I jump into uncertainty
Am I resolved that this is it
That there is no escape
No solution for me
In life

What if death does not absolve me
What if I am not set free
To endure for all eternity
The errors of my heart
My selfishness

But I am lost within this darkness
My soul has been bought and sold 
I am blind in my desolation
I cannot see past myself
My choices

I should have listened to his warnings
Even now I could confess
But my pride prevents my turning
There is no explanation
I jump

I cannot undo what I have done
I sought my life only to lose it
And now it is lost
For eternity
Eternity.

© Johannes W H van der Bijl 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment