Saturday, August 1, 2020

I Am Unshaken

Are there limitations set

For life lived in a dream world

Of holes and trolls

Of dashing prince

And hap’ly ever after?

 

Do wishes just evaporate

Like mist before the sunlight

The good the bad

The happy, sad

The Narnia and the Shire

 

Is everything nonsensical

Or is there form and rhythm

A grief observed

To some absurd

A paradise and heaven

 

Does Sleeping Beauty ever wake

Rapunzel grow her hair

Is all in vain

And hope insane

The Happy Prince and Swallow


I was a child

I am a child

My faith is ever childlike

And Grimm and Christian Anderson

Still influence my dreamlife

 

 

They did not ask – it was their task

To ride into the valley

The Clay is mute

The Potter wise 

The Maker is the Master

 

Are prayers of any consequence

Are spoken words unheard

The breaking heart

Soul torn apart

Ours not to reason why

 

But Jesus is no fairy tale

The cross is not a fable

The body broken

Flowing blood

His love revealed in sorrow

 

Though hopes and dreams

My childish schemes

Are dashed when I awaken

I know in whom I have believed

And therefore, am not shaken

 

© Johannes W. H. van der Bijl 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment