Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Look Up in the Air

With my finite eye I see

But one small patch of sky

I know that there is more

Even Hubble cannot spy

 

As a human I am set

I am limited and small

I am bound by my restrictions

Mind, body, soul

 

Greater minds than mine have struggled

Grappled with infinity

What’s behind our furthest probing

Technological modernity

 

No one knows…no one knows

 

All our planning all our scheming

All our dreams and all our hopes

All ambitious calculations

Telescopes, stethoscopes

 

Then a single minute virus

Brings all nations to a halt

Doctors, leaders all flipflopping

Economic somersault

 

But the ways of the Almighty 

Are far higher than my own

And his plans for all eternity

Are for good and good alone

 

As the rain that falls from heaven

Soaks the earth and grows the seed

So the word of God is realized

And his purpose far exceeds

 

All our fears and all our sorrows

All our needs and every prayer

Gain perspective when we simply

Gaze and look up in the air

 

© Johannes W H van der Bijl 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment