Monday, October 12, 2020

THE UNTOLD STORY: DAY THREE

Day Three:

I remember the day Benjamin was born. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry…I was torn in two. My Miriam, gone forever from my side, but in my arms, a living object in whom a sliver of Miriam lived on. And I thought; this is a soul I will love and protect desperately for as long as I breathe. 

Today, I remember those conflicting emotions with renewed pain. Like my Miriam, Benjamin is gone…where I do not know. Travellers from Galilee…members of my family who know him well…they have confirmed that they met him on the way north. They say he did not talk much with them…that he seemed to be in a great hurry…excited and yet tense. Did he think I would pursue him, like Laban pursued Jacob?

The new owner came to take possession of the land today…or at least his representative. There was nothing I could do…his papers were all in order and legal. Besides, he had brought witnesses with him…perhaps expecting resistance. But I have no desire to resist anything or anyone. My life has been drained from me…I feel as if Miriam has died once again.

The Holy Scriptures tell us that the Lord was once sorry that He had made man[i]…He was grieved in His heart…just as I am. But I am not sorry I made Benjamin. I would not exchange one precious moment with my son for anything this world may offer…not land…not possessions…I’d rather have my son than all the riches the world has to offer.



[i] Genesis 6:6

No comments:

Post a Comment