Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Absolute dependency....

It has been a while since I last wrote something personal on this blog. Louise and I have been so busy that we really haven't had the time or the energy to do anything other than the necessary. But as the frantic packing and repacking and repacking is just about coming to an end, we will begin to recapture the luxury of meditative reflection...at least in theory...

For instance...today, as I was driving our hopelessly overloaded car from our now vacated flat to our friends Larry and Tess' home where we are to stay until we leave on July 11, I couldn't help thinking of how vulnerable and dependent Louise and I are right now. When we were both receiving a guaranteed income, it was easy to forget this reality. Of course, it is true nonetheless...whether you have or do not have you are ultimately dependent on God...but it is not something we were acutely aware of until now.

Not that this is a negative thing. To the contrary, it is a positive thing as it makes us more aware of the nature of our relationship with our Father. We are His children and, as Jesus tells us, He knows how to give good things to His own. Recently, I have found passages where the biblical author expresses dependency far more meaningful.




As a manservant looks to his master...so we look to You, O Lord. Whom have I in heaven, but You? Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. Look to the birds of the air...look at the lilies of the field. Cast your cares on the Lord, for He cares for you. Your heavenly Father knows your needs.




I dare to say I almost find it exhilarating and exciting. What will my Father do next? He knows what lies ahead and therefore knows what we will need even before we do. Worry and anxiety seem so out of place in this new world of absolute dependency. Faith and trust and rest and waiting on Him strike a far more harmonious chord now than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment