Tuesday, December 22, 2020

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Johann and Louise: Training Disciples to Make Disciples in Southern Africa

Many years ago, I decided that a wooden roller coaster ride was a good idea. Boy was I sorry! I ached in places I did not even know I had. 

In many ways, 2020 reminds me of how I felt back then. Banged up and bruised, but grateful to have made it to the end in one piece.

The year has pretty much ended as it began...with an alarming rise in Covid-19 infections, but minus a full country-wide lockdown. We had taken the Queen out of the Nursing Home for Thanksgiving and just as well...that day, several residents were found to be covid positive and the Queen was not allowed to return. So, we have her stopping with us until it is safe for her to return. 

The sad reality of this pandemic is that much of our normal mission work ground to a halt. But we did find ways of reaching out to the those in need and Louise worked tirelessly with a local feeding scheme and with an organisation that ministers to people with disabilities. I managed to complete a book about Jesus' model of disciple making from the perspective of Simon Peter and signed a contract with Langham publishers...God willing, the book, entitled Breakfast on the Beach, will be published June of July 2021. I also completed a sequel to this book, entitled For Us, For Our Children, For The World that examines the life of Simon Peter post Ascension. In both cases, the books are written in a narrative style. I also wrote a devotional on the parable of the lost sons. The entries can be found on my blog here: http://missionsbloging.blogspot.com/

I am currently working on a biographical study of the life and ministry of two SPG (Society for the Propagation of the Gospel) Missionaries to Mauritius and South Africa in the mid 1800's through 1910. We are exploring possibilities of further research in Oxford where the SPG archives as well as many relevant important documents are kept at the Bodleian Library. This would be part of a Guided Study Program offered by Oxford. 

In many ways, I seem to have found my true calling. I absolutely love researching and writing! Other than the day when Jesus saved me, the day my wife and I became one, the days my sons were born, when they were married, and when their children were born...I have never been so happy and contended and fulfilled. I pray that our Lord will make it possible for me to continue writing for His Kingdom!

Finally, may Louise and I wish you all the happiest of Christmases...the Light of Life still shines in the darkness and even the darkness of a pandemic cannot overcome it! We pray that 2021 will be all you hope for a much, much more.

Thank you for your ongoing support. We are so grateful to each one who prays for us and supports us financially and otherwise. As usual, our SAMS support account could be better, but then again it could also be worse. The Lord knows our needs and we leave that in His hands. Bless you and thank you.
 
All our love
Johann and Louise

Facebook
Website
Email
Twitter
Support Us
Johann and Louise spent two years helping to develop the St. Frumentius Seminary in Gambella, Ethiopia. At present, they are mostly working in Southern Africa where they are serving in seven southern African countries, although they continue to work with the Diocese of Egypt, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa as well as other southern and northern African countries, through engaging in a disciple making movement in order to grow the body of Christ. They are partnering with J-Life and other like-minded ministries. This ministry is massive and has the ability to reach thousands.
We are sent  through the Society of Anglican Missionaries and Senders, a missionary sending community, engaging in building relationships with the worldwide church to experience the broken restored, the wounded healed, the hungry fed, and the lost found through the love and power of Jesus Christ. 
Support SAMS
Copyright © 2016 Society of Anglican Missionaries and Senders, All rights reserved.
www.sams-usa.org
    

Our mailing address is:
PO Box 399 Ambridge PA 15003
Attention to: Johann and Louise van der Bijl

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

No comments:

Post a Comment