Friday, December 18, 2020

THE UNTOLD STORY: Entry Sixty-Six

Entry Sixty-Six: Psalm 139

Winter. It is cold and the sky is grey and dismal. The slightest breeze whips up a dust cloud. Our rains are not what they should be…but we are grateful for every drop that falls, as we hear of tales of desperation in the countries to the north. I am concerned for Benjamin…I entrust him into the merciful care of the one who alone sees him and knows him. Thankfully, because of a few wise decisions in the past, we have enough to eat…and more in the storerooms. Even our servants feast sumptuously.

I marvel at Aaron’s arrogant self-justification…his self-righteousness…as if he has earned the right to be a member of God’s family. Does he not understand that it is God who initiates our relationship with Him? From the moment sin entered the world, it was God who came seeking after us. It was God who came to set us free from bondage in the land of Egypt. It was God who brought us back from exile. Does he not realise that God chose us, not because we were a great people…indeed, we were the least of all peoples…but God chose us because He loves us. For no other reason. And therefore He continues to choose us…because He loves us, He forgives us because He knows that if He kept a record of our sins, we would all be lost. 

No, I am persuaded. We are all on level ground when we stand before our holy God. Not one can elevate himself above another. We have all sinned. We have all fallen away. Every one of us has chosen to go our own way…that is what the Scriptures say.  Benjamin sinned…but so have I…so has Aaron…and where there is sin, God’s grace is greater still. Therefore, if I claim to be a child of God, I too must be gracious, forgiving, merciful, patient, and kind. To both Aaron and Benjamin. They are both my sons. I love them both and I want them both to be reconciled to me and to each other…and ultimately, to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment