Wednesday, December 16, 2020

THE UNTOLD STORY: Entry Sixty-Four

Entry Sixty-Four: Romans 8:28

Autumn is once more around the corner and still no sign of Benjamin. We hear of drought and famine in the north. Travellers from those places, speak of widespread hunger. I hope and pray that he is safe and well…and alive.

A messenger from Herod came to see me…on urgent business he said. Apparently, Octavian has defeated Mark Antony at sea. The humiliated Roman General returned to his lover only to die at his own hand rather than face Octavian. The Egyptian Queen however apparently thought she could beguile the victor with her feminine charms, but he was not swayed. The messenger tells me she too took her own life. While they were wicked people and did many evil things, I derive no pleasure in the death of the sinful.  Would that they had come to their senses and left their self-destructive paths.

“What has this news to do with me?” I ask the messenger. He tells me Herod is terrified of Octavian and does not wish to be seen as a supporter of Antony or Cleopatra. He now wishes for me to take back Benjamin’s land and to deny that it ever changed hands. Herod wants no trail connecting him to the infamous couple.

Lord God of Israel. Is this really happening? Can this be true? It must be. I have a document with the seal of Herod himself. I weep. But not for long. I must share this news with my friends. Elizabeth is beside herself with joy. “Now, my young master can return!” she cries. 

Yes. Now, Benjamin can return. The land of our ancestors is ours once again. Some of the young men offer to go and look for him. How they mirror my heart! It is well, I say. He will come when the time is right. The same God who turns the hearts of kings to do His bidding  works in Benjamin’s heart too.


No comments:

Post a Comment