Wednesday, December 2, 2020

THE UNTOLD STORY: Entry Fifty

Entry Fifty:

The Roman General and the Egyptian Queen leave suddenly, in a cloud of dust. Apparently, Octavian is using the revelation of Mark Antony’s will and the subsequent revoking of his position as Consul as a pretext for war. Herod, I am told, has managed to persuade the Queen to let him lease the land, something for which my community is thankful…thankful enough to leave me alone. The soldiers depart as well, and the town breathes freely once more. 

I tell Levi how much I appreciate his kindness towards me during this very trying time. He smiles as he asks me if there are others things for which I am appreciative. I tell him about Elizabeth and Benjamin’s friends. They have been mainstays of strength for me…Elizabeth from the very first day. I tell him how her presence at first irked me…I so wanted to be alone…invisible…but she persisted in shadowing me wherever I went. I later found out that for the first few nights, she had slept on the floor outside my door. For this devotion I am most grateful. The boys have helped me relive the happy days and have assisted in keeping a brighter image of my son alive. 

Levi tells me that he did not wish to see the light of day after that long night of horror. He wanted to curl up into a ball and die…or simply cease to exist. But he had to be strong for his wife and their younger children. He had to get up and face each day in spite of his desire to expire. So, he gained strength…day by day…moment by moment. The first time he felt any sense of thankfulness stunned him…he had not thought it possible to be grateful for anything ever again. But he was grateful he was not alone…he learned at that moment never to take any one person for granted…to cherish and treasure even the smallest deed of compassion. Yes, I can see this now…I cherish and treasure my newfound friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment